Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
2003, B.S. Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology
2005, M.S. Electrical Engineering, Caltech
2008, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Caltech
Analysis, design, and testing of integrated sensors and systems with applications in high-speed wireless links, radar, medical imaging, biosensing, and oil/gas monitoring.
Computer Engineering, Neuroengineering, Systems
Dr. Babakhani is an Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at Rice University and the Director of the Rice Integrated Systems and Circuits Laboratory. He received his B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from Sharif University of Technology in 2003, and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Caltech in 2005 and 2008, respectively. Dr. Babakhani was a postdoctoral scholar at Caltech in 2009 and a research scientist at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center in 2010.
Dr. Babakhani won the Best Paper Award in IEEE RWS Symposium in 2015 as well as the Best Paper Award in IEEE IMS Symposium in 2014. He received an innovation award from Northrop Grumman in 2014 and a prestigious DARPA Young Faculty Award (YFA) in 2012. He received the Caltech Electrical Engineering Department's Charles Wilts Best Ph.D. Thesis Prize for his work on Near-Field Direct Antenna Modulation (NFDAM). From 2006 to 2008 he was the Vice Chair of the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society Metro LA/SFV Joint Sections MTT-S Chapter 17.1. He was the recipient of the Microwave Graduate Fellowship in 2007, the Grand Prize in the Stanford-Berkeley-Caltech Innovators Challenge in 2006, Analog Devices Inc. Outstanding Student Designer Award in 2005, as well as Caltech Special Institute Fellowship and Atwood Fellowship in 2003. He was also the Gold Medal winner of the National Physics Competition in 1998, and the Gold Medal winner of the 30th International Physics Olympiad in 1999, in Padova, Italy.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Best Paper Award in IEEE IMS Symposium in 2014
Innovation Award from Northrop Grumman in 2014
DARPA Young Faculty Award in 2012
Caltech Electrical Engineering Department's Charles Wilts Best Ph.D. Thesis Prize in 2008
1. X. Yang and A. Babakhani, " A Free-space Optically-Locked VCO with Picosecond Timing Jitter in 0.18µm CMOS," in IEEE Photonics Technology Letters , vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1180-1183, Jun. 2014.
2. P. Bhatnagar, M. Alauddin, J. A. Bankson, D. Kirui, P. Seifi, H. Huls, D. A. Lee, A. Babakhani, M. Ferrari, K. C. Li, and L. J. N. Cooper, " Tumor Lysing Genetically Engineered T Cells Loaded with Multi-Modal Imaging Agents," in Nature Scientific Reports, 4, Article Number: 4502, pp. 1-6, Mar. 2014.
3. J.O. Plouchart, M.A. Ferriss, A.S. Natarajan, A. Valdes-Garcia, B. Sadhu, A. Rylyakov, B.D. Parker, M. Beakes, A. Babakhani, S. Yaldiz, L. Pileggi, R. Harjani, S. Reynolds, J.A. Tierno, and D. Friedman, " A 23.5 GHz PLL with an Adaptively Biased VCO in 32 nm SOI-CMOS," in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 2009-2017, Aug. 2013.
4. B. Sadhu, M. Ferriss, A. S. Natarajan, S. Yaldiz, J.O. Plouchart, A.V. Rylyakov, A. Valdes-Garcia, B.D. Parker, A. Babakhani, S. Reynolds, X. Li, L. Pileggi, R. Harjani, J.A. Tierno, and D. Friedman, " A Linearized, Low-Phase-Noise VCO-based 25-GHz PLL with Autonomic Biasing," in IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1138-1150, May 2013.
5. M. Ferriss, J.O. Plouchart, A. Natarajan, A. Rylyakov, B. Parker, J. Tierno, A. Babakhani, S. Yaldiz, A. Valdes-Garcia, B. Sadhu, and D. Friedman, " An Integral Path Self-Calibration Scheme for a Dual-Loop PLL," in IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 996-1008 , Apr. 2013.
6. Z. Liu , L. Ma , G. Shi , W. Zhou , Y. Gong , S. Lei , X. Yang , J. Zhang , J. Yu , K. Hackenberg , A. Babakhani , J. Idrobo , R. Vajtai , and J. Lou, "In-plane heterostructures of graphene and hexagonal boron nitride with controlled domain sizes," in Nature Nanotechnology, pp. 119-124, Jan. 2013.
1. X. Yang and A. Babakhani, " A 4.6-5.35GHz Transceiver with 38dB On-Chip Self-Interference Cancelation at 10kHz Offset Frequency, " in IEEE RFIC Symp. Dig. Papers, May 2015.
2. P. Chen and A. Babakhani, " A 30GHz Impulse Radiator with On-Chip Antennas for High-Resolution 3D Imaging, " in IEEE Radio and Wireless Symp. Dig. Papers, Jan. 2015. (Best Paper Award)
3. M. Assefzadeh and A. Babakhani, " A 9-psec Differential Lens-Less Digital-to-Impulse Radiator with 150-fs-Resolution Delay Line in Silicon, " in IEEE RFIC Symp. Dig. Papers, Jun. 2014.
4. X. Yang and A. Babakhani, " A 2.5Gb/s 0.38mm2 Optical Receiver with Integrated Photodiodes in 0.18µm CMOS SOI, " in IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium, Jun. 2014.
5. H. Aggrawal and A. Babakhani, " A 40GS/s Track-and-Hold Sampler with 62dB SFDR3 in 45nm CMOS SOI, " in IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium, Jun. 2014.
6. M. Assefzadeh and A. Babakhani, " An 8-psec 13dBm Peak EIRP Digital-to-Impulse Radiator with an On-chip Slot Bow-Tie Antenna in Silicon, " in IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium, Jun. 2014. (Best Paper Award)
Optoelectronic Systems and Devices in Conventional CMOS
Silicon-based Sensors for Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (EPR) Spectroscopy and Imaging
Large-Scale Radiating Integrated (LSRI) Circuits and On-chip Antennas
Silicon-based mm-Wave and THz Transceivers
Self-Healing Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuits
CMOS-based Medical Imaging Devices and Sensors