Don H. Johnson
J.S. Abercrombie Professor Emeritus, Department of Electrical and Computer
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, MS366
6100 Main Street
Houston, Texas 77005
Office: (713) 348-4956
FAX: (713) 348-5686
S.B.,S.M.(1970), E.E.(1971), Ph.D.(1974), Electrical Engineering, MIT
Statistical signal processing; image processing in art
Awards & Honors
IEEE Signal Processing Society Meritorious Service Award (2001)
IEEE Millenium Medal (2000)
IEEE Signal Processing Society Distinguished Lecturer, 2000-01
Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu
Fellow, IEEE (1990)
George R. Brown Award for Excellence in Teaching (1988)
George R. Brown Award for Superior Teaching (1982,1985,1986,1995)
Nicolas Salgo Distinguished Teacher Award (1983)
American Society for Engineering Education Fellowship (1980)
Supervised Investors' Award for Teaching (1970)
Educational and Research Highlights
- Supervised 18 doctoral dissertations and 23 masters theses.
- Developed four undergraduate and three graduate courses.
- Author or co-author of 1 book, 77 reviewed articles, 9 book
chapters, 160 conference papers, 9 patents.
Unreviewed Manscripts and Talks
- D.H. Johnson and I.N. Goodman. Jointly
- D.H. Johnson. The
Correlation Function of Multiple Dependent Poisson Processes Generated
by the Alternating Renewal Process Method. 2007.
- D.H. Johnson. Correlations
in Populations: Information-Theoretic Limits.
Cosyne Workshop of Population Correlations. February 2007.
- D.H. Johnson. From Signal to Information Processing.
- D.H. Johnson. Information processing performance limits
of neural populations. Neural Coding Workshop, Mathematical
Biosciences Institute, Ohio State University, February 10-14, 2003.
- A.G. Dabak and D.H. Johnson. Relations
between Kullback-Leibler distance and Fisher information.
- D.H. Johnson and S. Sinanovic. Symmetrizing
the Kullback-Leibler Distance.
Books and Book Chapters
- D.H. Johnson, C.R. Johnson, Jr., E. Hendriks. Automated thread counting.
Chapter 8 in van Gogh's Studio Practice, edited by M. Vellekoop,
M. Geldof, E.Hendriks, L. Jansen and A. de Tagle, Mercatorfonds, 2013, pp.
- E. Hendriks, C.R. Johnson, Jr., D.H. Johnson, M. Geldof. Automated thread
counting and the Studio Practice Project. Chapter 9 in van
Gogh's Studio Practice, edited by M. Vellekoop, M. Geldof, E.Hendriks,
L. Jansen and A. de Tagle, Mercatorfonds, 2013, pp. 156–181.
- J. Salvant, M. Geldof, E. Ravaud, L. Megens, C. Walbert, M. Menu, D.H.
Johnson. Investigation of the grounds of Tasset et L'Hôte commercially
primed canvases used by Vincent van Gogh in the period 1888 to 1890. Chapter
10 in van Gogh's Studio Practice, edited by M. Vellekoop, M. Geldof,
E.Hendriks, L. Jansen and A. de Tagle, Mercatorfonds, 2013, pp. 182–201.
- D.H. Johnson. Principles of neural signal processing. Chapter 4 in
Biohybrid Systems edited by Ranu Jung, 53–75. Wiley-VCH, 2011.
- D.H. Johnson. Information-theoretic analysis of neural data. Chapter 3
in Statistical Signal Processing for Neuroscience and
edited by Karim Oweiss, 69–92, Elsevier, 2010.
- D.H. Johnson, C.J. Rozell, I.N. Goodman. Information theory and systems
neuroscience. Chapter 13 in Analysis of Parallel
edited by Sonja Grün.
- D.H. Johnson. Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
I, The Connexions Project, 2005.
- D.H. Johnson and D.E. Dudgeon. Array Signal Processing: Concepts and
Techniques, Prentice-Hall, 1993.
Recent Reviewed Publications
- C.R. Johnson, Jr., D.H. Johnson, I. Verslype, R. Lugtigheid, R.G. Erdmann.
Detecting weft snakes. Art
5: 48–52, 2013.
- D.H. Johnson, E. Hendriks, C.R. Johnson, Jr. Interpreting canvas weave
matches. Art Matters,
5: 53–61, 2013.
- D.H. Johnson, C.R. Johnson, Jr., R.G. Erdmann. Weave
analysis of paintings on canvas from radiographs. Signal
Processing, 93: 527–540, 2013.
- W. Liedtke, C.R. Johnson, Jr., D.H. Johnson. Canvas matches in Vermeer:
A case study in the fabric analysis of canvas supports. Metropolitan
Museum Journal, 47: 101–108, 2012.
- P. Pérez d’Ors, C.R. Johnson, Jr., D.H. Johnson. Velázquez
in Fraga: A new hypothesis about the portraits of El Primo and Philip IV. Burlington
Magazine, 154: 620–625, 2012.
- E. Hendriks, D.H. Johnson and C.R. Johnson, Jr. Interpreting
canvas weave matches. Art Matters, 2012.
- L. van~Tilborgh, T. Meedendorp, E. Hendriks, D.H. Johnson, C.R. Johnson,
Jr. Weave matching and dating of van Gogh’s paintings: an interdisciplinary
approach. Burlington Magazine, 154: 112–122, 2012.
- C.R. Johnson, Jr., D.H. Johnson, N. Hamashima, H.S. Yang, E. Hendriks.
On the utility of spectral-maximum-based automated thread counting from X-rays
of paintings on canvas. Studies in Conservation, 156: 104–114,
- P. Noble, A. van Loon, C.R. Johnson, Jr. and D.H. Johnson. Technical
investigation of Rembrandt and/or studio of Saul and David,
c. 1660, from the collection of the Mauritshaus. ICOM-CC,
- D.H. Johnson. Information theory and neural information
Trans. Information Theory, 56: 653–666, 2010.
- D.H. Johnson, C.R. Johnson, Jr. and E. Hendriks. Signal
processing and analyzing works of art. SPIE'10.
- D.H Johnson, E. Hendriks, M. Geldof and C.R. Johnson,
weave matches imply canvas roll matches? AIC'10.
- D.H. Johnson, C.R. Johnson, Jr. and E. Hendriks. Matching
canvas weave patterns from processing x-ray images of master paintings. ICASSP'10.
- D.H. Johnson and C.R. Johnson, Jr. A thread counting
algorithm for art forensics. DSP Workshop, 2009.
- C.J. Rozell, D.H. Johnson, R.G. Baraniuk,B.A. Olshausen. Sparse
Coding via Thresholding and Local Competition in Neural Circuits. Neural Computation,
20: 2526–2563, 2008.
- I.N. Goodman and D.H. Johnson. Information
theoretic bounds on neural prosthesis effectiveness: The importance of
spike sorting. ICASSP'08.
- M.A. Lexa and D.H. Johnson. Distributed Structures,
Sequential Optimization, and Quantization for Detection. IEEE
Trans. Signal Processing, 56: 1740–1745, 2008.
- D.H. Johnson and I.N. Goodman. Inferring the Capacity
of the Vector Poisson Channel with a Bernoulli Model. Network:
Computation in Neural Systems, 19: 13–33, 2008.
- M. Sheikh and D.H. Johnson. Fundamental
Detection and Estimation Limits in Spike Sorting. ICASSP'07.
Lexa and D.H. Johnson. Joint optimization of distributed broadcast quantization
systems for classification.
- S. Sinanovic and D.H.
a theory of information processing. Signal Processing,
87: 1326–1344, 2007.
- Don H. Johnson Signal-to-noise ratio. Scholarpedia, 1(12):2088, 2006.
- J. Uppuluri and D.H. Johnson. Detecting
correlated population responses.CNS'06.
- M.A. Sheikh and D.H. Johnson. Favorable recording criteria for spike sorting. CNS'06.
- C.J. Rozell and D.H. Johnson. Evaluating local
contributions to global performance in wireless sensor and actuator networks. DCOSS'06.
- S. Sinanovic, D.H. Johnson, W. Gardner. Directional
propagation cancellation for acoustic communication along the drill string. ICASSP'06.
- C.J. Rozell, I. Goodman and D.H. Johnson. Feature-based
information processing with selective attention. ICASSP'06.
- M. Memarzadeh, D.H. Johnson, W. Gardner, L. Gao. On maximizing the fidelity
of log signals transmitted via digital telemetry. Society of Petroleum
- C.J. Rozell and D.H. Johnson. Analyzing
the robustness of redundant population codes in sensory and feature extraction
- C.J. Rozell and D.H. Johnson. Analysis
of noise reduction in redundant expansions under distributed processing
- D.H. Johnson and J. Uppuluri. Finding
likely models that describe population responses. CNS'04.
- C. Rozell and D.H. Johnson. Examining
methods for estimating mutual information in spiking neural systems.
- D.H. Johnson and R.M. Glantz. When
does interval coding occur? Neurocomputing, 59–60:13–18,
- C. Rozell, D.H. Johnson and R.M. Glantz. Measuring
information transfer in crayfish sustaining fiber spike generators: Methods
and analysis. J. Biol. Cybernetics,
- D.H. Johnson. Neural
population structures and consequences for neural coding. J. Computational
Neuroscience, 16: 69–80, 2004.
- D.H. Johnson and W. Ray. Optimal
stimulus coding by neural populations using rate codes. J. Computational
Neuroscience, 16: 129–138, 2004.
- M.A. Lexa and D.H. Johnson. An
information processing approach to distributed detection. Workshop
on Statistical Signal Processing, Sept. 2003.
- I. Goodman and D.H. Johnson. New
multivariate dependence measures and applications to neural ensembles.
Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, Sept. 2003.
- M.A. Lexa and D.H. Johnson. Optimizing
binary decision systems by manipulating transmission intervals. International
Symposium on Signal Processing and its Applications, July 2003.
- C.S. Miller, D.H. Johnson, J.P. Schroeter, L. Myint and R.M. Glantz. Visual
responses of crayfish ocular motoneurons: An information theoretical analysis.
J. Computational Neuroscience, 15: 247–269,
- D.H. Johnson. Origins
of the Equivalent Circuit Concept: The Voltage-Source Equivalent. Proc.
IEEE, 91: 636–640, 2003.
- D.H. Johnson. Origins
of the Equivalent Circuit Concept: The Current-Source Equivalent. Proc.
IEEE, 91: 817–821, 2003.
- M.A. Lexa and D.H. Johnson. A
new look at the informational gain of soft decisions. ICASSP,
- D.H. Johnson and H. Rodriguez-Diaz. Optimizing
physical layer data transmission for minimal signal distortion. ICASSP,
- M.A. Lexa and D.H. Johnson. Information
processing of linear block decoders. DSP
- C.S. Miller, D.H. Johnson, J.P. Schroeter, L.L. Myint, and R.M. Glantz.
Visual signal in an optomotor reflex: Systems and information theoretic analysis.
J. Computational Neuroscience, 13: 5–21, July/August
- C. Rozell and D.H. Johnson. Information
processing during transient responses in the crayfish visual system. CNS*02,
July 2002 and Neurocomputing, 2003.
- D.H. Johnson. Four
top reasons why mutual information does not assess neural information processing.
CNS*02, July 2002.
- W. Wang and D.H. Johnson. Linear transforms of symbolic
data. IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 10: 628–634,
Papers Selected for Special Recognition
- D.H. Johnson and S.R. DeGraaf. Improving the resolution of bearing in passive
sonar arrays by eigenvalue analysis, 1982. Selected for inclusion in Multidimensional
Digital Signal Processing, (IEEE Press, 1986) and in Modern Spectrum
Analysis II, edited by S.B. Kesler (IEEE Press, 1986).
- D.H. Johnson. The application of spectral estimation methods to bearing
estimation problems (invited paper). Proc. IEEE, 70(9):